Open as PDF
Health and Safety Information
Health and Safety Information
WARNING - SEIZURES
WARNING - 3D FEATURE ONLY FOR CHILDREN 7 AND OVER
WARNING - REPETITIVE MOTION INJURIES
WARNING - EYESTRAIN AND MOTION SICKNESS
WARNING - BATTERY LEAKAGE
WARNING - RADIO FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE
Important Safety Information – Read the following warnings before setup or use of the Nintendo 3DS XL
system. If this product will be used by young children, this manual should be read and explained to them by
an adult. Failing to do so may cause injury. Please carefully review the instruction booklet for the game you are
playing for additional health and safety information.
Throughout this manual, you will see this symbol followed by WARNING or CAUTION, or you may see the term IMPORTANT.
These terms have dierent levels of meaning as outlined below. Please read and understand these terms and the information that
appears after them before using your Nintendo 3DS XL system:
Warns you about incorrect use of the Nintendo 3DS XL system that could result in serious personal injury.
Cautions you about incorrect use of the Nintendo 3DS XL system that could result in personal injury or
damage to the Nintendo 3DS XL system, components, games, or accessories.
Informs you about incorrect use of the Nintendo 3DS XL system that could result in damage to the
system, components, games, or accessories.
• Some people (about 1 in 4000) may have seizures or blackouts triggered by light ashes or patterns, and this may occur while
they are watching TV or playing video games, even if they have never had a seizure before.
• Anyone who has had a seizure, loss of awareness, or other symptom linked to an epileptic condition should consult a doctor
before playing a video game.
• Parents should watch their children play video games. Stop playing and consult a doctor if you or your child has any of the
Convulsions Eye or muscle twitching Loss of awareness
Altered vision Involuntary movements Disorientation
To reduce the likelihood of a seizure when playing video games:
1. Sit or stand as far from the screen as possible.
2. Play video games on the smallest available television screen.
3. Do not play if you are tired or need sleep.
4. Play in a well-lit room.
5. Take a 10 to 15 minute break every hour.
Viewing of 3D images by children 6 and under may cause vision damage.
Use the Parental Control feature to restrict the display of 3D images for children 6 and under. See the Parental Controls section in this
manual for more information.
Health and Safety Information
The Nintendo 3DS XL system contains a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack. Leakage of ingredients contained within the battery
pack, or the combustion products of the ingredients, can cause personal injury as well as damage to your Nintendo 3DS XL system. If
battery leakage occurs, avoid contact with skin. If contact occurs, immediately wash thoroughly with soap and water. If liquid leak-
ing from a battery pack comes into contact with your eyes, immediately ush thoroughly with water and see a doctor.
To avoid battery leakage:
• Do not expose battery to excessive physical shock, vibration, or liquids.
• Do not disassemble, attempt to repair, or deform the battery.
• Do not dispose of battery pack in a re.
• Do not touch the terminals of the battery or cause a short between the terminals with a metal object.
• Do not peel or damage the battery label.
The Nintendo 3DS XL system can emit radio waves that can aect the operation of nearby electronics, including cardiac pacemakers.
• Do not operate the Nintendo 3DS XL system within 9 inches of a pacemaker while using the wireless feature.
• If you have a pacemaker or other implanted medical device, do not use the wireless feature of the Nintendo 3DS XL system
without rst consulting your doctor or the manufacturer of your medical device.
• Observe and follow all regulations and rules regarding use of wireless devices in locations such as hospitals, airports, and on
board aircraft. Operation in those locations may interfere with or cause malfunctions of equipment, with resulting injuries to
persons or damage to property.
IMPORTANT: The Nintendo 3DS XL system allows you to disable wireless communication. To turn o all wireless
communication, push the wireless switch to turn the feature o. See page 12 for more information. Make sure the
wireless LED is o.
Playing video games can make your muscles, joints or skin hurt. Follow these instructions to avoid problems such as tendinitis, carpal
tunnel syndrome or skin irritation:
• Avoid excessive play. Parents should monitor their children for appropriate play.
• Take a 10 to 15 minute break every hour, even if you don’t think you need it.
• When using the stylus, you do not need to grip it tightly or press it hard against the screen. Doing so may cause fatigue
• If your hands, wrists or arms become tired or sore while playing, or if you feel symptoms such as tingling, numbness, burning or
stiness, stop and rest for several hours before playing again.
• If you continue to have any of the above symptoms or other discomfort during or after play, stop playing and see a doctor.
Playing video games can result in eyestrain after a sustained period of time, and perhaps sooner if using the 3D feature. Playing video
games can also result in motion sickness in some players. Follow these instructions to help avoid eyestrain, dizziness, or nausea:
• Avoid excessive play. It is recommended that parents monitor their children for appropriate play.
• Take a 10 to 15 minute break every hour, or every half hour when using the 3D feature, even if you don’t think you need it.
Each person is dierent, so take more frequent and longer breaks if you feel discomfort.
• If your eyes become tired or sore while playing, or if you feel dizzy or nauseated, stop and rest for several hours before
• If you continue to have any of the above symptoms, stop playing and see a doctor.
NOTE: This product does not contain latex.
This product complies with applicable laws barring the use of toxic materials such as lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, PBB, or PBDE in
Health and Safety Information and